April 29, 2017 Log In

The ELCIC at a Glance

By Diana Swift on June, 28 2013


A statue of Dr. Martin Luther, who developed the young reformed church. Photo: Danny Busch

1520
The name Evangelical—“based on the good news of the Gospel”—is applied to the young reformed church developed by Martin Luther in the early Reformation.

1619
The Rev. Rasmus Jensen, the first Lutheran pastor in Canada, arrives with a Danish expedition and conducts a service on the shores of Hudson Bay.

1750s
With the arrival of German immigrants in Halifax, Lutherans become an established presence in Canada.

1976
Pamela McGee becomes the first woman to be ordained in the Canadian Lutheran church.

1983

Following the example of their U.S. counterparts, Lutherans and Anglicans in Canada begin discussions on an interim sharing of the eucharist.

1986

ELCIC is founded through a merger of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada (ELCC) and the Canadian portion of the Lutheran Church in America (LCA)

2001
With the signing of the Waterloo Declaration, the ELCIC and the Anglican Church of Canada (ACC) enter into full communion and common mission. Their counterparts in the U.S. cemented a similar partnership that same year.

2007

The ELCIC and the ACC hold some common sessions in Winnipeg during their respective national meetings, National Convention and General Synod.

2011
The Evangelical Lutheran and Episcopal churches of the U.S. and the ELCIC and ACC celebrate 10 years of full communion in quadrilateral cross-border ceremonies in Buffalo, N.Y., and Fort Erie, Ont.

2013
In an ecumenical first, the Winnipeg-based ELCIC and the  ACC spend about half of scheduled time at their respective national meetings in Ottawa in joint sessions.

 

 

Back to Top
By Diana Swift| June, 28 2013

About the Author

Diana Swift

Diana Swift

Diana Swift is an award-winning writer and editor with 30 years’ experience in newspaper and magazine editing and production. In January 2011, she joined the Anglican Journal as a contributing editor. 

Add A Comment

Comment

Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>

Comments

Copyright © Anglican Journal 2017